Download instructions for Indy 0.0.0

		Download instructions

Preamble: If you are new to Linux we warn you there are other distribs
who are easier to install and while we hope a user-designed
distribution like Indy will become better than them at tackling real
problems of Linux users the fact is Indy is still not quite there.  We
also advise your first distribution be one with printed doc (Indy
still doesn't have this): our experience is that if for your first
contact with Linux you go for a cheap CD without paper doc then you
will fail and end returning to Windows where you will have to pay, and
pay, and pay for inferior software.  Spanish people describe this with
the expression "Going for the cheap ends being expensive".  But if in
a few months from now you want other newcomers not having to cope with
the problems you had then remember this project.

I) Downloading and installing  the distributuion

You will need the contents of two directories:

ftp://belegost.seul.org/pub/independence/Indy-7.0/CD1

and

ftp://belegost.seul.org/pub/independence/Indy-7.0/CD2

Hereafter I will refer to the directories you downloaded them as <CD1>
and <CD2>

Now you can install it from CDROM, from a server (the distrib in the
original site is NOT setup adequately from this) or from hard disk. In
future releases we will have iso images and this will make things _much_
simpler

1)  Installing Indy from CDROM.

Look if there is an empty file named .disc1-i386 directly under <CD1>
and another one called .disc2-i386 directly under <CD2>.  Create them
if they were skipped by your ftp client.  Make two images: one for <CD1>
and one for <CD2> in a such way that the contents of <CD1> and <CD2>
will be directly under the root of the cdroms (both directories must
be left outside).  Now we have two cases: your box can be booted from
CDROM or it cannot

a)  Box can be booted from CDROM

While building <CD1>, ensure this will be a bootable CDROM and that
boot image will be <CD1>/images/boot.img.  Burn both CDs. Insert CD1
into reader, reboot and during the BIOS phase ensure the CDROM is
before hard drive in the boot sequence.  Exit Bios.  Continue the boot
sequence and follow instructions.

b) Box cannot be booted from CDROM

Burn both CDs.  Take a formatted floppy.  We advise you to use a new
floppy since defective ones are a common cause of installation
failure.  If you are using Linux then DON'T mount this floppy, instead
use the following command:

"dd if=<CD1>/images/boot.img of=/dev/fd0"

if you are using Windows then DON'T use the copy command on the boot
image, instead you should use <CD1>\dosutils\rawrite and when
prompted then answer to use <CD1>\images\boot.img.

 Once you have creted your boot floppy, insert CD1 into the reader,
reboot and during the BIOS phase ensure floppy is before hard disk.
Exit Bios.  Continue the boot sequence and follow instructions.

2) Installing from hard disk.

Move all the files under <CD2>/Indy/RPMS to <CD1>/Indy/RPMS.  Take a
formatted floppy.  If you are using Linux then DON'T mount this
floppy, instead use the following command

"dd if=<CD1>/images/boot.img of=/dev/fd0"

If you are using Windows then DON'T use the copy command on the boot
image, instead you should use <CD1>\dosutils\rawrite and, when
prompted then answerr to use <CD1>\images\boot.img.

  Once you have created your boot floppy, reboot (with the floppy in
reader) and during the BIOS phase ensure floppy is before hard disk in
the boot sequence.  Exit Bios.  Continue the boot sequence and follow
instructions.  At one moment you will be prompted for the directory
and partition containing the install.  You must give a path relative
to the root of the partition, that is if you created your directory
under /mnt/test/CD1 while partition was mounted under /mnt/test then
the right answer is /CD1.

3) Installing from network.

On the server containing the distribution move all the files under
<CD2>/Indy/RPMS to <CD1>/Indy/RPMS.  Take a formatted floppy.  If you
are using Linux then DON'T mount this floppy, instead use the
following command

"dd if=<CD1>/images/bootnet.img of=/dev/fd0"

f you are using Windows then DON'T use the copy command on the boot
image, instead you should use <CD1>\dosutils\rawrite and, when
prompted then answer to use <CD1>\images\bootnet.img.

  Once you have created your boot floppy, insert it in the floppy of
the box you will be installing Indy into, reboot and during the BIOS
phase ensure floppy is before hard disk in the boot sequence.  Exit
Bios.  Continue the boot sequence and follow instructions.

4) Upgrading Redhat 7.0 to Indy.

At this point there is no choice but download the entire distribution
and use one of the methods described above.  In the future we hope to
provide a method so you will only need to download the differential
and a special script will take care of those programs we replaced with,
we think, superior alternatives.

II)  Source and Docs.

Most of the source is at

ftp://belegost.seul.org/pub/independence/Indy-7.0/CD3
There are no special problems in case you want to make a CDROM of it.

the remainder of the source is at

ftp://belegost.seul.org/pub/independence/Indy-7.0/CD2 (you already
have it if you downloaded the distributions).

Docs are at

ftp://belegost.seul.org/pub/independence/Indy-7.0/CD5.
Again there are no special problems in case you want to make a CDROM of it.

the CD4 directory is presently empty and reserved for future growth of
Indy

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org