Re: PPP/Auto DNS

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, JF Martinez wrote:

> Or you could use dialog.  In fact you could consider making a fronte
> nd to wvdialconf.  Wvdialconf knows a _lot_ about modems and it
> already has an X front end so the only thing you would have to write
> would be the console-based front end and add a nice little button for
> "Automatic configuration of DNS?"
>
> My 2c advice.

From a programming..., or I should say 'my' programming point of view.
All the effort that would go into writing a script using 'dialog' or
'whiptail' would be better spent writing directly to the parent. I
have written small scripts using both dialog and whiptail and found
that I have much more control over the program using C and newt. Thanks
for the suggestion though, it's just a personal preference of mine.

I will consider the wvdialdconf frontend though. It would be a very good
base for the application and may save a good bit of time. Good Idea.
I'll make sure to get the latest version and have a good look at it.

> We could call them "Liberators" but this coincides with the nickname
> of the B-24 (or was it B-26?) bomber.  Some people could argue at least
> in English-speaking countries and Germans reading the English text.

That doesn't sound to bad. That's the idea though Jean, Indy specific.
Something that falls into the Independence scheme of things. Well that's
Jean's input on the name. Anyone else? A couple more?

> > Other things can be set-up or configured in a similar manner giving
> > the user something to brag about in Indy. We could develop a whole
> > series of such programs. Thats one thing *I* would like to see more of
> > in Linux. After Windows this is what the user has come to expect.
> > Suggestions on other programs?

I have been looking at all of the libraries available to present a
good looking console GUI to the user. Why a console GUI? Mainly to keep
from depending on having X running for the newbie (or anyone else for
that matter) to be able to use a GUI based interface to be able to
configure most things without needing to read a book before starting
the program. By using a 'Wizard' type interface with online help, we
can pick up where linuxconf left off. Some of the libraries available
now can provide a fairly good GUI on a console. Almost X like windows.

--

R.G. Mayhue
rgmayhue@serenesoftware.com