Re: [Libevent-users] build problem: 'make' will try to configure again

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 14:45, Nick Mathewson <nickm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 1:13 AM, CheYi Lin <cheyi.lin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I got a autotools problem when building libevent 2.0.x.
>>
>> If I extract libevent tarball with 'tar xzmf' ignore the archive timestamp,
>> the 'make' command will try to configure again.
>
> [...]
>> How to avoid this ? (modify/generate files into sources)
>
> Hm.  My first thought would be "don't provide the "m" option to tar
> then!"  But I guess you're probably doing that for a good reason.
>
> My second thought would be to use "touch" to make the generated files
> (configure, Makefile.in, etc) newer than their sources.
>
> Anybody else have an idea?

Sounds right on both counts.  This is the same problem people have
when using source code management tools which don't preserve
timestamps.  Some projects provide a bootstrap script to touch the
generated files in an order which results in generated files being
newer than their sources (see /bootstrap in NTP tarballs).  Libevent
provides an autogen.sh to run the autotools which results in the same,
though by regenerating the files in question rather than touching
them.

Cheers,
Dave Hart