Re: [Libevent-users] [patch] integer recommendations

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Mansour Moufid <mansourmoufid@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's a patch to adhere to a few of the integer-related recommendations in the CERT C Secure Coding Standard. I tried not to break anything but you may want to double-check.

Partial NAK.  2.0.x is a stable release series.  It is supposed to
gets bugfix patches only.  I am not applying a 1394-line set of 40
"let's suppress the warning" patches to a stable release, without an
actual bug to fix.

What tool did you use to generate these warnings?  Some of its
recommendations are outlandish.  For example, any tool that says that
you can't use an int index to iterate over the elements of a static
array of < 20 structs is on a serious pedantic kick, as is any tool
that claims we need to index over argv with an size_t.

It also looks like you didn't try building this with
"--enable-gcc-warnings" configure option, which actually *does* catch
compatibility issues.  (For example, patch 9 will break c89 compilers,
of which sadly there still are some.)

Also, what Mark said.  :)

yrs,
--