[Libevent-users] irssi display bugs since moving std* fds to libevent objects

Hello lists,

I'm sorry, those quite weren't the answers I was going for, it was
getting late and I was probably getting lazy. I have posted what
you're asking me on #tmux on freenode in almost this complete form and
I want to make this clear to everyone who hasn't been in irc, since I
got some complaints that I wasn't precise enough. As I hopefully
mentioned before, with the bug present, pressing Ctrl+L for redraw
makes display failure much worse and also makes irssi's status bars
disappear.

As of tmux-cvs 20100830 and tmux 1.3 release the bug which was
introduced by the move of stdin, stdout and stderr to libevent objects
did stay inherent. Git bisect
(http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-bisect.html) has
helped me identify the commit
http://github.com/ThomasAdam/tmux/commit/3b74e93d60da392c46eae6b40391606f73b4db02
as being the first commit where this regression was introduced, thanks
to Thomas Adams for his git mirror. I did know the version I built at
20100721 was fine, since irssi did indeed work like a charm on tmux
until then.

Software versions in use (the -1, -3, -9 are my distro's package releases):
* Systems tested as well: Archlinux VM with lxterm, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx
VM with gnome-terminal
* tmux-cvs downloaded and built just minutes ago
* libevent-1.4.14b-1 / 1.4.13-stable-1 on ubuntu
* irssi 0.8.15-3 / 0.8.14-1ubuntu4 on ubuntu

Terminal emulators tested:
* rxvt-unicode-256color 9.07-9 TERM=rxvt-256color, inside TERM=screen-256color
* xterm 261-1 TERM=xterm, inside TERM=screen-256color (from tmux.conf)
* lxterm 0.1.7-1 TERM=xterm, inside TERM=screen
* gnome-terminal 2.29.6 TERM=xterm, inside TERM=screen

Screenshots (pretty self-evident, wer're talking about an irc client):
* two on my host machine (rxvt-unicode-256color):
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/8hueuez1/tmux_1.jpg
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/xsvp6aza/tmux_2.jpg
* host machine (xterm):
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/pycvgs22/tmux_6.jpg
* two on my testing vm (lxterm):
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/9i6gxbwo/tmux_3.jpg
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/l8w8cs57/tmux_4.jpg
* current tmux-cvs on ubuntu lucid lynx (gnome-terminal):
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/s5s93i6z/tmux_5.jpg
* expected output / irssi outside tmux (gnome-terminal):
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/fuptvyv1/tmux_7.jpg
http://img3.imagebanana.com/img/xkrwv0mm/tmux_8.jpg

* tmux -vvvv logs, where I launched irssi and made the bug visible (on ubuntu):
http://paste.xinu.at/Vgxs7/

While creating this log, I found the problem also seems to be related
to the terminal's size, which seemingly needs to be larger than 80x25
to make the bug visible, I recommend testing on a >40 line terminal
window.

kind regards,
mar77i