Re: [Libevent-users] calling bufferevent_free within it's own event (version 2.0.21).

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Tomer Heber <tomer@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Since you are unaware of such a case and it's supposed to work. Then I'm starting to think it's a bug in my code ("double delete" ==> reference count getting decremented prematurely - which Valgrind will not be able to catch).
>
> The software I'm writing is for production. Therefore stability is very important to me. How stable is the Alpha. In your opinion should I stay with 2.0.21 or move to the Alpha?

It's really unlikely that 2.0.x will get any destabilizing patches.
Unfortunately, that means that any complex fixes to the bufferevent
cleanup code are also not going to get backported to 2.0.

I'd like to get 2.1.x into release-candidate status soon-ish (next
month or so, I hope: it's been long enough).  I'd suggest that if
possible you (and everybody who is writing production code) should
test your code with 2.1.x-alpha, to see whether it makes anything
break for you, and whether it fixes this problem.

The alpha isn't crash-eriffic, but obviously it changes more than the
stable branch, and that's going to remain the case.

Once 2.1.x is declared stable, I'm hoping not to take anything but
regression fixes and security/crash fixes for 2.0.

best wishes,
--
Nick