Re: [Libevent-users] ANN: Libevent 2.0.5-beta released; Libevent 2.0 now in feature-freeze

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 4:57 AM, Aleksandar Lazic <al-libevent@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> On Mit 12.05.2010 21:15, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> Thanks to many people's hard work, Libevent 2.0 has now had its first
>> beta release.  You can download it from:
>>
>> http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent-2.0.5-beta.tar.gz
>> http://www.monkey.org/~provos/libevent-2.0.5-beta.tar.gz.sig
>>
>> Don't forget to validate the signature.  The complete list of changes
>> is available in the ChangeLog file, included with the distribution.
>
> I have run the clang analyzer, just for my interst and want to share the
> result.
>
> http://none.at/scan-build-2010-05-13-1/
>
> I have produce this output with the following commands:

Neat, thanks!

The null error in evrpc.c is a false positive; clang didn't realize
that event_err never returns.  I've tried annotating event_err with
__attribute__((noreturn)); let's see if that helps.

Similarly, the null dereferences seem to be mostly a matter of clang
drawing the wrong conclusion from a redundant check in one of our
macros; I've removed the redundant check.  Maybe that will make stuff
better.

The dead assignments look real albeit mostly harmless.  I think we
should clean up the ones in the main codebase, and probably leave the
ones in the unit tests alone.  Sadly, a few of them look like places
where we're not propagating an internal error sensibly.  I've patched
a couple, but if anybody else would like to take a crack at more of
them, that would be groovy.

peace,
--
Nick