RE: Weird OpenGL/GLU problem

On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Erik wrote:

> so the angle displays correctly? it doesn't slow down, just the FPS
> calculation?

Yes.

> Ok, when you calculate the time, you have 2 time structs, one sampled from the
> beginning of your set of frames, and one sampled after. Are you resetting the
> one from the beginning, or does it stay at the program start time through the
> whole run?

I am resetting it. I am pretty sure this code is OK - when I measure with
a stopwatch, I get the same timing.

> > me, how the time varies. Only the total time spent in a function.
> >

> a short run will provide a set of times that should be close to the 'right'
> runtime, while a long run will have more skew. Comparing the results of a long
> and short run would hopefully point out any problems that match the description
> you gave

Good advice, I will try it!

> If you can't get it working, can you furnish the code? Being able to sit it on
> my desktop and look at it and run it will let me make an accurate diagnosis
> instead of blind speculation :) (and there are others here who are far beyond
> my ability, so they might see an err in the code pretty obviously)

I have no problem giving you a copy of the code, but it is not in a state
suited for distribution and pretty embarrising. If you want to have a
look, you can download
http://www.challenge.dk/~madsdyd/3dse.20000407.tgz (200 KB)

It needs a working GL/GLU (preferable accelerated) and a linux system. It
will try to use /dev/dsp for sound. Most of the display stuff is in
display.c.

Mind you, the most (90%) of that code was hacked together from 02 AM to 1
PM on last sunday morning (20000402) after I and a friend had been to a
party... It is my first serious try on a game and I am currently rewriting
it, which is why I am offering you the last stable version :-) A lot of
stuff is broken, but the only thing I can't easily explain is the weird
drop in framerate.

Oh, hit c to try the framerate out (IIRC) - otherwise it is in keyboard.c

Thanks,

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
Oh well, all operating systems crash constantly right? This is normal, right?