Re: Artist question?

> > has raised up among the art team: we draw our
> > sprites using colorkey
> > blitting, so far so good. But then, of
> > course, we noticed that the
> > borders of the actual sprite appear on the
> > final blitted image,
> > obviously because those very pixels don't
> > exactly match the colorkey
> > value, but are very close to that, making the
> > final result look
> > actualy very ugly indeed

Hi,

I encountered a similar problem with Civil with
rotational sprites. The anti-aliasing artifacts
that blend down to the transparent background
colour would show up rather badly on the
playfield when the sprite was rendered.

The answer is fairly simple: get your artists to
remove the anti-aliasing artifacts around the
edges of the sprite.

You can use an alpha, but this is more coding
work for what amnounts to a very simple bit of
faffing around in the GIMP/PhotoShop.

It's annoying to learn the lesson after you've
produced a load of artwork, but once bitten...