OpenGL resolutions

I don't know if I'm missing something obvious or what, but how on
earth do you find out what resolutions OpenGL is capable of on a machine?

Using software, it'll do any window you open (within reason), but can
you get a list from a 3D card? And if so how do you then pick a
resolution? I'm thinking "can I find out if it's got hardware, and if
the hardware can do 800x600+double+depth" and how do I pick that size?

Quake manages to software control what resolutions are started - how
does it do it?

Failing that, can one find out the size of the OpenGL space after starting it?

The problem is that I'm opening a 320x200 window, so that software
rendering is reasonable speed. But when I run this on a machine with a
Voodoo II, it switches to 640x480 but only draws in ~1/5 of the screen
space - because the viewport is still setup for the tiny
window. Annoyingly the card is actually up to doing 800x600 without
any aggro.

If I can ask what size OpenGL rendering area I actually got I can
resize the viewport (the window size isn't important at that point) at
least, but I can't see anyway to do that /either/.

This is with Mesa, GLUT, GLX available to play with.

Cheers!!!