Re: GUI systems

>I'm still not sure if the original
>supplicant was asking how to develop a program that *has* a GUI (ie
>looking for a GUI library or a 'GUI-builder' toolkit), or

I was looking for a simple GUI library.

>I prefer 'FLTK' for regular X-window development - and (of course)

That sounds like an option. I'll have a look.

>> Plus, I've not downloaded anything that compiled in a long time. PLIB didn't
>> compile. Search for Herring didn't compile.
>
>Most people have no problem with those - I'm their maintainer and I'd like to
>hear what your problem was....typically it's something *really* simple.

It was. After I downloaded the thing that it depended on, I found that needed
something else that wasn't installed. This is a Slackware system that has been
maintained in a "when it explodes fix it fashion" for ~5 years. After two links
in the dependency chain, each of which needed about 1/2 hours download time over
the modem, I got bored - I'd used up the "have a ten minute look and see if it's
any good" time several times over. Low patience threshold.

>> None of the other games I downloaded
>> compiled. I'm kind of losing faith in that approach.
>
>Sounds a lot like there is something seriously amiss with your machine setup.
>Most things I build these days install straight off.

It depends how new the system is. I bet it'll all work fine on Affront, but
Excession simply doesn't have all the bobbins that modern stuff seems to expect.
(There's no Gnome, no GTK, no QT, no package manager, nothing like that). It's
on a 2.0 kernel, quite apart from anything else...