Re: Xlib problems (Lol. I've only been programming in it for10days...)

TI95NEUK@de.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >> If you really need speed. Well, use DGA.
>
> >I'd like to set something straight once and for all: DGA isn't that
> >fast. It is "okay", but not fast. It gives you programmed I/O access to
> >the framebuffer, which doesn't accelerate anything (in fact, XCopyArea
> >of a largish Pixmap to a Window is WAY faster than DGA with XFree86
> >3.9.x).
>
> Sorry, I just timed our new engine:
> 320x240x16bpp,
> XCopyArea: 62fps
> DGA: 123fps
>
> That looks like pure speed for me.
> Maybe I'm the only one without a super-duper-accelerated Matrox Card,
> but it sure is faster on my "cheap" S3 Virge.

Try MitSHM extension too. It gives a huge benefit above plain XCopyArea
(several factors on my machine) but it works similarly to XCopyArea
otherwise. MitSHM doesn't require fullscreen. It can work in a window just
fine. I don't know if DGA allows that?

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter."
        -- Popcorn comes to the Discworld
           (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)