Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

Dan Kegel wrote:

> Sounds like a GGI FAQ.  "Why reinvent the wheel?"
> Maybe the answer is partly in
> http://www.mucl.de/Home/ttanner/ggi/ggi-intro.en.html
> where it says Xfree86 is a big monolithic hunk of code.
> Could be it was too hard to break it up.

That's possible (that it was too hard to break up). I would admit that
as a valid answer. But while I could easily see the reasoning behind the
GGI team when they were rebutting people telling them not to reinvent
the wheel, to use X, reusing X server *code* would have been a nice idea
instead of rebuilding everything again from scratch (or forking what
could be common code).

Maybe for XF86 4.0...

--
Pierre Phaneuf