Re: further stuff for php on lg site :)

hsmith@dockside.co.za wrote:

>Few quick questions :)

*grin*

>Now this is current for each section I need suggestions of possible selections
>for supported platform I need a list of all possible supported platform (

Platforms are OS/Hardware combinations (Linux/ix86, Linux/PPC, BeOs/ix386,
Irix/MIPS etc).
I don't think it's possible to list all possible platforms. You should
simply make that a text field.
This should also be ok for searching - the speed loss compared to fixed
lists should be neglible as we have only very few datasets.

>hardware only i should think ? ) as well as for all possible main languages ?

For languages it's the same as for platforms. Either make it a plain text
field or keep an (easily extensible !!) list of languages in a seperate
table ,i.e. have a table listing all languages and have the tools reference
them. E.g. by some bitfield-like thing - use the index of each language as
its position in th bitfield. That way you can easily extend the thing (if
you make the bitfield big enough) and can freely combine all languages.

>Also should I keep status or add version for versioning ?

Keep the detailed status info. But perhaps a seperate "version" entry would
be nice.

>Compatibility Standards :
>
>List of known incompatibilities and their workarounds

This sounds like a good thing for fom - dunno if it can be solved equally
with php.

>                : list of item headers
>                        : header
>                        : problem description
>                        : workaround description
>                        : contact email of author
>                        : contact email of workaround author

possibly multiple workarounds, space for input by several authors

>White papers of compatibility standards + comments on them
>                : list of white paper headers
>                        : header
>                        : Standerd info
>                        : description
>                        : url link for standerd
>                        : mailinglist

Sounds good (but perhaps the "mailinglist" thing isn't necessary).

>Etc etc etc
>
>hope you get the meaning :)

Ugh. It's hard to think through that stuff at a moment when there are no
contents in this place. Is it possible to leave these areas as
"conventional" pages until we have real content there?

Cu
	Christian
--

Linux: Be where others want to go tomorrow