Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

Johnny Taporg wrote:

> > I'm just saying that you do not gain any noticeable performance by
> > using XFree86...
>
> ... over...?  The part of the sentance that's left out
> is the interesting part.
>
> SVGAlib?  Well, it's not a windowing system.  But
> even if we're only talking games, that suid-root on
> the game itself is quite the turn-off.

Well, if we just scavenge the video/input/config parts into a separate
.so (if anybody do so, be sure to compile a "generic" X server that link
against that library! should be straightforward once the library is
split off), the application will have to be suid-root too, just like an
X server has to now.

So regarding the SUIDness, that would be pretty similar.

The important improvements would be:

 - increased accelerated card support (my S3 isn't accelerated at all,
so anything would be better)
 - shared configuration files for video and input
 - better working code (like VC switching for example)
 - "hot" code (being worked on currently by a lot of people)

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/