Re: Tools

On Tue, Jan 11, 2000 at 03:52:27PM +0000, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:
> Yes, you are right. For general purpose game/engine writing, there are
> *some* uses for assembler, like I described (places where you know there
> is no way the C compiler will do the best thing, because the CPU has
> features inexpressibles in C languages, like bounded adds or SIMD ops).

Hey, how about if your compiler optimizes like crap for a certain processor (x86)?

Supposedly, the Macintosh has "one-click" AltiVec support: simply check the little checkbox in CodeWarrior and you have full AltiVec optimization for your application in C or C++. Of course, this came from a zealot of the type who declare that PPC chips are faster than Alpha chips. (Well, yeah, a G4 probably is faster than one of those Multias...)