Re: Is this list still alive?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 10:41:12AM +0200, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> One way, which is quite common, is to use "fractals" to generate the
> height curves for a map. Well fractals are just plain wrong here, plain
> recursion is what it really is.

[ Algorithm description deleted. ]

I do something much less complicated.  I use gforge to create a pgm
hightmap.  I then have a very simple tool to convert the pgm into
one of my map files.

There is nothing like using an existing tool that does the job properly.

One thing that I'm supprised no one has written yet, at least I've not
been able to find one, is a perlin noise texture generator.  The algorithm
is described in detail on the web but no source code.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better