Heightfields (was: Is this list still alive?)

On Friday 12 January 2001 11:19, Chris Purnell wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 10:41:12AM +0200, Jan Ekholm wrote:
> > One way, which is quite common, is to use "fractals" to generate the
> > height curves for a map. Well fractals are just plain wrong here,
> > plain recursion is what it really is.
>
> [ Algorithm description deleted. ]
>
> I do something much less complicated.  I use gforge to create a pgm
> hightmap.  I then have a very simple tool to convert the pgm into
> one of my map files.
>
> There is nothing like using an existing tool that does the job
> properly.

Seconded. I don't know how nice this is for realtime map generation, but
it's a simple way to create good landscapes

--
Christian Reiniger
LGDC Webmaster (http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/)

Pretty cool, the kind of power information technology puts in our hands
these days.

- Securityfocus on probing 36000000 hosts for known problems in 3 weeks