Re: MPEG encoder

Am Monday 12 January 2004 23:01 schrieben Sie:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Gregor Mückl wrote:
> > >
> > > Both transcode and mjpegtools should probably be able to do that.
> > >
> > > Mads
> >
> > mjpegtools are for mjpeg, which is *not* mpeg. Be careful with that.
> > Maybe you mean the mpeg tools which are available from Berkley, which
> > contain an mpeg encoder. This package is definitively worth a look if you
> > want to do create or modify mpeg streams.
>
> Huh?
>
> I know it is in the name, but mjpegtools generate (what I thought was) mpg
> streams for both VCD, SVCD and DVD's.
>
> What gives?
>
> Please consult http://mjpeg.sourceforge.net/ and clarify this - I will
> greatly appreciate that.

Yep, mjpeg is "Motion JPEG", a format where each frame is a compressed JPEG
image. This differs a lot from MPEG.

And the mpegtools I mentioned *do* exist as an entirely different package. I
just don't have an URL right now. It's a project of the Berkley University
IIRC.

However, a short glance at the mjpegtools homepage shows that they seem to be
able to handle mpeg streams in some way or another. But I haven't understood
in what way (it's 2 o'clock in the morning and I actually belong to bed now).

> btw: I think ffmpeg can encode mpegs too - yup:
> http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/ffmpeg-doc.html#SEC19
>
> So, IMHO, that leaves transcode, ffmpeg and mjpegtools. Right?

Well, not quite - see above :-)

> Thanks,
>
> Mads

Regards,