Re: The Artists thing

Hey all,

Ok, i'm gonna delurk for a minute here, so i can share my experience.

I'm working on an Free project right now called "Paperclip."  It's a
cross-platform semi-isometric RPG.  Basically, what i've learned is that
EVERYONE needs to be part of the project, and feel that it's their own if
they're gonna work for free.  It's actually a 5-6 man team right now, and while
4 of us are programmers, 2 of the programmers have other artistic skills
they're willing to donate, so i consider my project to be in a fairly good
position in this regard.

This game started as an idea of two of us programmers, but quickly turned into
a three-way brainstorm with the main artist, (an old friend who i knew to be a
fan of console games), and we each added our own spin on the game.  I think
each of us feel that it's our child, and thus we never even have to ask for
art-- he'll already have it, or will quickly create it.  His view is not always
what i imagined-- and sometimes i don't like it, but we all compromise.

Basically, what i'm saying is what a lot of others are saying, and that is that
the important thing is to accept the artists as a major part of the
development, but i suggest taking that to the next level by finding an artist
(or artists) with similar interests in games and create something together.
Only when each person feels that the project is his/her own, (rather than work
for someone else's project, no matter how accomodating that person is) will you
really get the results you're looking for.

other thoughts...

<*****snip*****>

> > Music Artists:
> > Music artists are very similar to draw artists, but have the added cost
> > of often expensive equipment.
>
> I'm suprised that so much costly stuff is needed...and in any case, if
> you are an amateur musician - don't you already have this stuff?
> Also, it's not exactly cheap being a programmer.  We have to have the
> latest, hottest hardware and fanciest graphics adaptors!

Ok, as someone who's both a programmer and an amateur musician, i can say that
the musician half is the more costly of the two.  Yeah, programmers want the
fastest computers, the most ram and the highest texels/second on their 3D
excelerators, but most of what you need is software, and in the Free Software
arena, that's pretty cheap, whereas even the bargain basement musician has to
buy stuff (at least in electronic music, which is the only area i have any
experience to speak of), even if that music equipment happens to be a little
noise maker from Toys 'R' Us.

Alright, better get to sleep.

-benc