Re: about game updates

At 10:26 AM 6/1/99 -0700, you wrote:
>I've been thinking about this too.  What if we have some sort of
>developer's forum?  I was thinking a place where people could post
>questions and get answers from others with more experience in that area.

	Do you mean something like a moderated, Ann Landers-like column by a known
developer? Something like the Grandmaster B/Brian Hook column on Voodoo
Extreme? (http://www.voodooextreme.com/) Or, do you mean something more
freeform? If that's the case, we do have an existing newsgroup, but we'd
have to get quality developers to hang out there.

>It would also be interesting to have something like this sort of merged
>with an acutal project... somehow.  It'd be interesting because you could

	I'm not quite sure what you mean here. What I am assuming is you'd like to
have a project/column/series where future articles might depend on the LGDC
readership's questions. If that's your idea, I think it's a great idea.
I've been wanting to do something like that. If not, mine, mine, mine! :)

>see how people that have solutions to the problems fix them, and doing so
>would help the less experienced types(like me!) overcome the larger
>hurdles.  I'm still trying to figure out how this would work, does anybody
>have ideas?

	My idea was to write an initial column and let it sit at a point where
we'd need a technique implemented. For example, I want to do a game that
would involve some complex collision detection. Maybe I'd put code up to
that point, state what comes next and open it up to a "localized forum" on
the LGDC. Hopefully, things would tend to a happy middle ground without
much "scorched earth". Or, I'd put my ass on the line and code something
myself and let experienced people tear it apart. (I can take criticism
well, so I'll volunteer...)

	What do you think?

Paul Tiseo
ptiseo@mediaone.net