Re: Choosing a Linux development platform

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Christian Reiniger wrote:

> Something concerning GPL development I forgot to say in my other mail:
>
> The Mozilla found the ideas, opinions etc they got through the open
> development model to be far more valuable than the code contributions. That
> means if you develop your game in the open, and if you do it right, there
> will be many people helping you to do the right decisions.

A follow up to that is what Brian Renyolds did with Alpha Centauri.
During the design phase he posted a request to (news) c.s.i.p.g.strategy
asking for design requirements (spec).  He took the best ideas from that
lot and mixed them into his vision.

Some other games I've beta tested, have seen game improvements and
balances added.  Open Source, means people will send you the code as well
as the ideas for improvements.

Nicholas