Re: Choosing a Linux development platform

On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Rick Genter wrote:

> 3) Are there GUI IDEs available for Linux (other than Codewarrior, which I
> am aware of)? Commercial, shareware and freeware leads are all welcome.

   Check http://freshmeat.net/appindex/development/environments
and      http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapp6.html#tools

   Some highlights:

   Visual SlickEdit: (commercial)
      http://www.slickedit.com

   CodeForge: (commercial)
       http://www.codeforge.com

   CodeCrusader and CodeMedic: (free)
      Clones of MetroWerks IDE
       http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~jafl/jx/progs.html

   RHIDE:  (free)
      Clone of Borland IDE using ported TurboVision source.
      http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/~sho/rho/rhide.html

   Xwpe-ALPHA: (free)
      Another Borland IDE clonse, not using TVision.
      http://www.rpi.edu/~payned/xwpe/

   In the works:

   gIDE:  Gnome IDE:  http://gide.pn.org/
   KDevelop: KDE IDE: http://www.cs.uni-potsdam.de/~smeier/kdevelop/

   Personally, Linux *is* my IDE. :)

   I use vim+gcc+gdb.  Sometimes for larger projects I'll
use emacs, but I really like vim's has syntax highlighting
(and since I'm a console junkie, I don't want to use Xemacs).

   Damian

--
Damian Gryski ==> dgryski@uwaterloo.ca | Linux, the choice of a GNU generation
512 pt Hacker Test score = 24%         | 500 pt Nerd Test score = 44.6%