Re: Poll ideas?

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Christian Reiniger wrote:

> The current Poll is getting quite stale.

Yes. I think the results are quite interessting though. I wonder if anyone
would like to ponder a bit about it, or if the result was wellknown in
advance?

I personally find it interessting that there seems to be a greater demand
for graphics artists then for developers. Of course Steven Baker will
probably tell me he knew this, and it goes well with the fact that any
project obviously have at least one developer. I also find it amusing
that only about 5-6 % needs users the most :-)

> Has anyone ideas for a new one?

I have ideas for two different:

1) "What sound library are you using for your game project"

Answers could be

- OSS (/dev/dsp)
- OSS/Free (/dev/dsp)
- DSL
- OpenAL

etc. I am sure there are more, but I do not know them. There should be
more then these options.

2) "How much does it matter to you that users can compile and install your
    game on standard linux distributions/installs?"

Answers could be

- It was hard to write, it should be hard to compile and install.
- I always use bleeding edge third-party libraries and expect my users to
  download and install these.
- I use a few common libraries like plib, Crystal Space, etc.
- Besides my software, uses typically only need OpenGL.
- I supply all software needed in my tgz file
- I supply rpm and/or deb packages with all the needed software.

Well, the answers are not quite like I want them, but maybe someone can
improve on them.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
Did you ever notice how at trade shows Microsoft is always the one giving