Reason for gz over bz2?

When it comes to distributing files, I am used to seeing tar.gz or tgz extensions. The Linux kernel, however, uses bz2. It makes sense since the kernel is huge and bz2 has better compression.

Someone on the Indie Gamer forums brought up the fact that bzip2 is so much better than gzip in this regard. You can see the discussion here: http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=10754

In the end, I couldn't really answer why so many projects continue use gzip when providing distributables. I don't believe there is a technical reason why a game or other software project couldn't use bzip2 since it should be available in any distribution (right?), but perhaps there is a concern that most people don't use it and so you shouldn't use it. Still, I think it would be really simple to just provide extraction instructions with the download link. You just pass xjf instead of xzf to tar.

So is there a reason why more people don't use bzip2 instead of gzip?

--
GBGames' Blog, An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting Thoughts:
http://www.gbgames.com/blog