Re: Interested in starting some basic development

Borko Jandras wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 1998 at 02:12:23PM +0100, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> > Well, I know a lot of people who wouldn't have started with Crystal Space
> > if it WASN'T written in C++. But anyway, it is all a matter of taste. Personally
> > I think that C is not very suitable for such large projects. It is too difficult to maintain.
> > (But granted, this comes from a person who ones wrote a 68000 assembler program
> > which was 100000 lines of assembler, and I'm not exagerating :-)
>
> C is suitable for anything, no matter how big it is. You just have to plan
> more.

But I don't WANT to plan more. Why not use C++ where you don't need to
plan more? What exactly is so bad about C++ that you cannot use it for that?
Granted, C++ is not a real good language. It has a lot of features that are
over-complicated and badly designed because of the C heritage. However
you don't have to use all those features. Why not use C++ simply for it's
classes and inheritance? That would allow you to structure you code while not
having to live with all the rest. You don't HAVE to use:
    - operator overloading
    - RTTI
    - templates
    - virtual functions (although those are nice)
    - multiple inheritance

But you can still use the rest of C++ to good advantage I think.

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

"?" he said.
        -- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)