Re: Direction of Linux games...

On 15-Nov-99 Steve Baker wrote:
> Erik wrote:
>
>> My argument isn't that people usually won't contribute to a
>> project unless they benefit from it (get to use it). If you have both
>> windows
>> and linux, and you like the tools in windows more than linux, you should use
>> windows to contribute to the linux project.
>
> That's not the reason.  My Tux game works on practically every
> machine and OS you could imagine...and still no artists have
> ever contributed.

Hrmmm, strange, that blows my theory outta the water, huh? :) What do you think
is the reason? Does anyone have experience with open projects on windows?

(snip)

>> I beleive most commercial game production entities have more
>> graphic artists than programmers...
>
> I think that's true.
>
> Perhaps, the difference is that in commercial production, the
> programmers earn relatively big $$$ and the artists and musicians
> get paid a pittance. I believe that the artists and musicians
> are often straight out of college and prepared to work on anything
> that gets them a portfolio and job experience - so that they can
> go off after a year or two and earn BIG $$$ designing soup
> labels (or whatever it is they do).

I've talked to game programmers, and most of them are not making hefty salarys.
I've read interviews of a couple graphic artists for games (www.worms2.com had
interviews with the worms2 gfx guys) and they weren't fresh out of college
grubbing for job experience... :/

They may be an abnormality, tho. The gfx team for the much feared team17 of
microprose and all... :)

I want to make commercial quality games. I want to make games that people look
at and go "hot damn, that's sweet sh*t". I want games like these on linux. I
want to learn how to make them, so I have to learn how they do it. If there's
someone who's on the inside or knows someone on the inside, please let us (me
in particular :) know how the method operates so we can examine the methods and
possably improve/streamline those processes. Games are a strange mix of
programming, graphics, sound, etc. Other apps don't require such a tight
integration. Even gui apps use gfx and sound as a minor suppliment, with ui
design and programming being the big oomph. Server side stuff is protocol
design and programming... The open source community has improved the way things
are done in fields where it excels, I think, and if a greater understanding of
game design/production is acheived, I think OS can improve the way games are
made and improve the quality of games. Improvement is good, proprietary secret
"it sucks, but less than the competition" thinking is bad. :) </RAMBLE>

> On the other hand, games programmers generally do it for the
> love of it. Most could earn MUCH more doing accountancy
> software - but they don't because games are more FUN.

I do it for the supermodels... :)