Sunsite's Policy On Domain Names

	This was part of a larger multi-topic email with Esben, from sunsite, and
I (and Esben) thought I'd share it with the group.

At 01:27 AM 11/16/99 +0100, you wrote:
[snip]
>I just hope that you do not decide to waste all the efforts by dumping
>SunSITE because of the lgdc.org domain hosting.
>
>At our last staff meeting, I brought the subject up.  The rules are
>very clear:  we do not accept domain hosting, and to make this clearer
>and easier to enforce, we also do not want to be "masked out" by some
>proxy-like system.
>
>It is ok to setup the lgdc.org domain to redirect to SunSITE, and to
>setup mirrors of the lgdc site, but unless you keep
>http://sunsite.auc.dk/lgdc as your primary site, I am afraid the staff
>group will rule that lgdc does not appreciate our service, and will be
>"closed".
>
>Could you take this up with the other guys on the mailing list ?
[snip]

	I am not quite sure why, but that is their policy. I think we are fine
with our current plans: mirror content such as articles & tutorials to
sites interested and keep *really* dynamic content such as web-based
threaded discussion on sunsite. Esben, my main contact, has been very
responsive and helpful. He is genuinely interested in helping linux
projects and I have enjoyed his efforts on our behalf. He has set up
phpPolls, phpMyAdmin and Phorum at my request over the lst few weeks,
amongst many other things he surely has to do to keep other groups happy.

	Once we are gold, we can look into a lgdc.org redirect, but apparently,
the sunsite url ultimately cannot be masked. I guess this is an issue that
should be addressed by the group, because we were once speaking of doing
that...

	Does anyone have a problem with www.lgdc.org being just a redirect?

Paul Tiseo
LGDC's webmaster