Re: My adventure game

Henrik Lidbjörk wrote:

> Thanks! Please tell me what you thought about it (even it didn't even
> compile) -- your input in very valuable for me and the game.

OK - since you asked...

It didn't compile on my SuSE  system. It said:

  v8/v8-0.02a> make
  gcc -Wall -c v8.c
  gcc -Wall -c engine_main.c
  gcc -Wall -c engine_textparser.c
  gcc -Wall -c engine_roominit.c
  gcc -Wall -c gui_main.c
  gcc -Wall -c gui_scroll.c
  gcc -Wall -c gui_menus.c
  gcc -Wall -c gui_io.c
  gcc -Wall -c png.c
  gcc -Wall -o v8 v8.o engine_main.o engine_textparser.o engine_roominit.o gui_main.o
                     gui_scroll.o   gui_menus.o gui_io.o png.o -lvga -lvgagl -lpng -lm
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `deflate'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `inflate'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `inflateInit_'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `crc32'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `deflateInit2_'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `inflateReset'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `deflateReset'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `inflateEnd'
  /usr/lib/libpng.so: undefined reference to `deflateEnd'
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
  make: *** [v8] Error 1

I've seen this before though - libpng relies on libz for doing it's
decompression - some distro's (or maybe some versions of libpng) seem
to have libpng linked *without* libz - some link it implicitly.
Adding a -lz to the link line (just after -lpng) fixes that and won't
cause problems on systems where -lpng by itself is enough.

So, now I have it compiled. But when I run the resulting binary, I get:

  v8/v8-0.02a> ./v8
  svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

I tried running as root and I got an utterly screwed up full-screen of
random-looking garbage.  When I managed to fight my way back into X again,
it had died with:

  v8/v8-0.02a# ./v8
  [svgalib: allocated virtual console #8]
  Segmentation fault

I tried running it from a stand-alone console (ie No 'X') - but got the
same random garbage.

I'm using a GeForce-3 Ti 500 graphics card (stop drooling :-)  I doubt
libsvga works very well with modern cards like that.  It's been years
since I last saw a libsvga game.  I really think you should use some other
graphics lib - libsvga is pretty obsolete library these days.  How hard
would it be to make your game use either X or something like ClanLib,
Hermes or even SDL?  It looks like you are only blitting rectangles - so
it ought to be fairly easy to port.

--
    NOTE: MY HOME PAGE HAS MOVED TO http://www.sjbaker.org - PLEASE
               UPDATE YOUR LINKS AND BOOKMARKS ACCORDINGLY!

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net