Re: Interesting automake bug

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 04:54:41PM +0200, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> Hmm, all my headers are now .hh, and I still get that annoying error
> occasionally:
>
> ake[1]: Entering directory `/home/chakie/prog/c++/osg/panzers/src'
> g++ -g -O2 -I/opt/osgSDL/include -I/usr/include    setup.cpp   -o setup
> /usr/lib/crt1.o(.text+0x18): In function `_start':
>
> Seemingly is thinks that the file should be linked into an executable.
> This was done by "make dist", and the file is definitely not an
> executable.

> This has nothing at all to do with my headers after all, it's something
> else that's broken either in my Makefile.am, configure.in or in automake
> itself.
>
> Sorry to bother you folks with my whining, bitching and flaming, I'm going
> back to proven and simple Makefiles that Work For Me(tm).

This is the implicit make rule again.  Just as before with your header
files.  Make has an implicit rule to make an executable out of a c++
source file as well as one to make a ".o" object file.

The reason you were not having this problem before you switched to
automake was because your previous makefile did not have your header
files or this setup file as any of the dependancies.

Other people don't have this problem by avoiding this kind of file naming.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | I thought I'd found a reason to live
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | Just like before when I was a child