Joysticks!

Dear linuxgames,

I've been adding joystick support to my game today
(thank you SDL) and a couple of questions have come up
that maybe someone with more joystick-waggling experience
could answer:

* Is there any conventional wisdom for a reliable
minimal 'deadzone' analogue joystick range?  I'm
currently using +/- 4% but only have one (borrowed)
joystick to test with.

* Do digital joysticks/joypads under SDL look like
analogue joysticks except that their values always
report totally-down (+32767), neutral (0),
totally-up (-32768), etc?

Thanks,
--Adam