Re: (OT) Re: OpenGL scenegraph

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> >Then think of it in this way: understanding a bit (not much, just a
> >bit!) about the underlying transport protocol that Xlib uses to talk
> >with the X server can lead you to use it better. Things like:
>
> Then that is of course documented in the docs, right?

No, of *course* not!!! Who even dares to look at the documentation? ;-))

(fun put aside, if you ever wondered about all those "This behavior
varies from server to server" (talking about X servers), that's
"documentation")

> >It makes the difference between a 10 fps game and a 60 fps game. And if
> >you can't *see* that difference, maybe you should do something else! ;-)
>
> Maybe I should do something else. Parts of the Linux gaming community
> seems to be a bit harsh about newbies such as me, and easy on the
> flamethrower-trigger. :-(

I didn't mean that as a flame, but meaning that any game programmer
looking anywhere in the general direction of the monitor running the
game should probably be able to notice such a frame rate difference. If
not, he should really stick to small puzzle games or some such...

I mean, while 60 fps looks fine, 10 fps looks like there is a
stroboscope in the game, making everything so jerky you have difficulty
controlling anything you have to control. I assume anybody can make the
difference between being at home in front of his TV or in a discotheque,
right? :-)

(maybe some people have tremendous televisions tho, I don't know)

But I should have taken better note of the fact that you are *not* a
game programmer. Probably that your application won't even *try* to put
up more than one frame per *few seconds*! Thus, even a frame rate of 10
fps will be more than enough for your purpose.

Black boxes are nice, and I certainly wouldn't want to live without
them, but a game programmer often has to look what is inside. That's one
of the very cool things about Linux: I CAN look inside!

Sorry if that looked like a flame. It may have been rude in "delivery",
but certainly wasn't meant as a flame.

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/