Re: Sv: Re: Library/Tool database

Bjarke Hammersholt Roune wrote:
>>----------  Mail forwarded (Author is Steve Baker)...  ----------
>>Subject: Re: Library/Tool database
>>Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:18:29 -0500
>>From: Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net>
>>
>So, the author doesn't see this?

He does because I'm cross-forwarding things ;)

Er, it turned out that I  actually have only very little to say about your
comments, Bjarke, so I ended up commenting on Steve's mail here ;+)

>>Checking for multiple SDK's in a single game is OK for testing (say)
>>a sound library against a graphics library to be sure that they don't
>>conflict - but that's a combinatorial nightmare (there must be
>>a dozen sound drivers and a dozen graphics libs - someones' going to
>>write 144 separate programs to test all those?

Nope. We'd take the "library of the month", hack one or two games to use it,
including some "reference game" we use for every lib which encapsulates
the lib-specifics so that switching libs is easy. In that reference game
we'd combine the lib with some defferent common libraries (not all libs!)
etc.
Plus some comments about the lib's API (clean or redundant functions or
...) and it's code (should check return values more consequently etc) and
that's it more or less. That makes for a nice set of articles, giving a
detailed impression of the lib.

	Christian