Re: My Game

Chris wrote:

> Steve Baker wrote:
>
> > I'd still like to see a voluntary version of the ESRB ratings
> > that could be applied to OpenSource games.
>
> I agree completely, a rating system would not only give guidelines to
> parents but it would reflect well on the open source development community
> as a whole.
>
> If any list members want to know more about the ESRB rating system, some
> (unfortunately not very detailed) information may be obtained from
> www.esrb.org. In particular, http://www.esrb.org/esrb_about.asp lists the
> various rating certificates with basic information on the criteria for
> each.

Some years ago, I asked the ESRB about the possibility of them providing
some guidance here.  However, since they get paid to do their ratings, they
weren't too keen about doing it for free - and without them actually having
tested the game, they obviously wouldn't hand out ratings.

So, what I'd suggest would be to simply duplicate their standard, generate
a new logo with the same set of rating letters and have it link to a web page
somewhere that says what the letters mean and (importantly) that this is
a voluntary system and that we can't take responsibility if someone
mis-represents their game by putting on the wrong rating.

Hopefully, mis-rated games would be flamed to death, posted to slashdot,
etc, etc - so peer pressure would suffice.

Undoubtedly, a better system than ESRB could be devised - but people
are used to it and understand it...if our logo were kinda-sorta similar
(but not so we'd get sued) and used the same letters, I'm sure people
would catch on.

Such a system would certainly work for me (I'm a parent) - I don't want
a repitition of the time I downloaded an early beta of XTux - I played the
first level or two and decided it was OK for my (then) 7yr old to play...
only to discover (a few days later) that one of the later levels had
porn pictures scattered liberally through it!

I don't mind them doing that (although I don't think it helped out the
game any) - but I REALLY wish they'd hinted up-front with a M rating!

> Perhaps this list could come up with a series of classifications and
> matching criteria for such a system? If there is any interest in the
> project I could make some graphic objects for developers to show as
> classification marks on their websites.

Great!

Now that Nurgle has so kindly suggested a *GREAT* name (Open Game Rating
for Entertainment) - OGRE.

All that remains is to toss it onto a web site, post requests everywhere
we can think of for games writers to use it - then get it slashdotted.

I wonder if the admin guy at HappyPenguin would be interested in carrying
the ratings too?

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net