Re: artists

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Steve Baker wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:
>
>> AC3D is quite fun yes, but it has its limitations, and those limitations
>> come up pretty fast even for "coder models".
>
>Yes - that's certainly true.
>
> > I can't do good graphics nor
>> good models, but I can model a house or simple stuff if I can find
>> suitable textures. However the texture handling in AC3D is pretty limited
>> and I couldn't even find a way to use only parts of a texture for a
>> surface or specify some kind of tiling etc. It was always "one texture
>> fits one surface", at least in the version I used.
>
>That limitation is also one in most realtime rendering environments too -
>what AC3D presents you with is essentially raw OpenGL.  That's a good thing
>in some situations - and a bad thing in others.

I lacked the possibility to use only parts of a texture for a polygon.
Especially if several parts of a texture are in the same image. Or if the
destination is a triangle or something non-square.

>If I could possibly learn blender, I wouldn't be contemplating
>spending $2,000 on Maya-for-Linux.

You've really been thinking about buying it?

--

              Many an ancient lord's last words had been:
         "You can't kill me because I've got magic aaargh...."