Re: License for mixminion dist

On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 13:12, Nick Mathewson wrote:

>         2. Are we okay with the property of the GPL that would allow
>            proprietary server forks, so long as the binaries we not
>            distributed?  If not, what can we do about it?
 [...]
>        4. How severe is the risk of people running modified servers,
>           but refusing to acknowledge the fact?  More importantly, how
>           much can we address this with a license?

Following up on these point:  we may want to check out the AGPL at
http://www.affero.org/oagpl.html.  It identical to the GPL, except for
the addition of a clause 2(d):

    * d) If the Program as you received it is intended to interact with
    users through a computer network and if, in the version you
    received, any user interacting with the Program was given the
    opportunity to request transmission to that user of the Program's
    complete source code, you must not remove that facility from your
    modified version of the Program or work based on the Program, and
    must offer an equivalent opportunity for all users interacting with
    your Program through a computer network to request immediate
    transmission by HTTP of the complete source code of your modified
    version or other derivative work.

and of a modified clause 9, which states in part:

    You may also choose to redistribute modified versions of this
    program under any version of the Free Software Foundation's GNU
    General Public License version 3 or higher, so long as that version
    of the GNU GPL includes terms and conditions substantially
    equivalent to those of this license.

The FSF endorses this license:

http://www.fsf.org/press/2002-03-19-Affero.html

Food for thought.  BTW, David, this license may fit the bill for you as
well.

Yours,

--
Nick