ever operate a remailer that permits the sender to arbitrarily set the
From: line.

I do not believe that these two requirements are mutually exclusive.

The holders of persistent nyms have no need to set the From: line to an
arbitrary value. They solely have the need to set the from line to
reflect that of their, and only their, nym server email address.

A design in which the exit remailer sets the From: line to the nym and
email address of the user of a nym server who has proven to the exit hop
possession of the private key that authenticates the user to the nym
server for that account is not just acceptable, but I believe very
desirable. Offering that feature may well be required for mixminion to
attract new types of users.

--Lucky