(FWD) A simple SMTP proxy for mixminion

----- Forwarded message from owner-mixminion-dev@freehaven.net -----

Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:34:47 -0500 (EST)
From: George Danezis <gd@blackbird.csail.mit.edu>
To: mixminion-dev@freehaven.net
Subject: A simple SMTP proxy for mixminion

Dear friends,

I have written a simple SMTP proxy that accepts email messages and relays
them through mixminion. The processing is simple the "subject", nickname
part of the "from" field and the "text/plain" part of the message are
extracted and fed into mixminion.

The code can be found at:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~gd216/minionSMTP.py
It can be run by typing: python minionSMTP.py
but requires mixminion to be installed and on the path.

I have tried it on windows, cygwin and Linux (redhat9) all with Python2.3

I wrote this program for my own use and to be able to send email using
"normal" mail clients. So far I have tried it with Outlook Express and
Mozilla thunderbird. This is the first program that I am writing in
python, and my style is probably quite poor. I am looking forward for
people to correct any idioms that do not seem right.

Hope people find it useful,

George

PS Brian Warner's additions (to give pass phrases on the command line) will
be useful to add support for SURBs in the SMTP proxy :)

----- End forwarded message -----