Question: IP blacklists / whitelists?

Hi,

as you might have heard, the German parliament (Bundestag) passed
a bill concerning the introduction of data retention in Germany.

It won't take effect until January 1st 2008 and won't be enforced
until January 1st 2009 -- and there's still hope, that it will be
successfully challenged at the Federal Constitutional Court in
the meantime...

But thinking aloud already now, in my opinion I'd rather log (and
hope that nobody asks for the data) than close down my service...

(I.e. log source IP address and digest for each incoming packet,
track packets through the mix pool by their changing digests, and
log digest and destination IP / e-mail address for each outgoing
packet. BTDT, and disabled it again...)

Particularly, it would be useful if all the logged data were
useless (no pun intended), as only already anonymous connections
would be allowed -- i.e. I'm thinking along the lines of using a
Tor DNS blacklist [1] as a *white*list, plus whitelisting the
other mixminion nodes, and rejecting all other packets...

1. http://www.sectoor.de/tor.php

Any thoughts about how this would affect overall usability of the
mixminion network? Any other comments?

Ciao

Tobias
--