Re: nightfall 1.61

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 16:30:07 -1000
Patrik Jonsson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using nightfall 1.61 on an intel mac os 10.4 machine and am seeing
> some very weird stuff. If I start nightfall, load the attached cfg file
> and compute/animate, I get a completely wacky light curve that has a
> bunch of noise in one of the minima, and the large star has a disk
> around it in the starview. There should be no disk, it's not on in the
> gui and the cfg looks like there should be no disk either. There was no
> disk when I saved the cfg. (I noticed when playing around that it seems
> like the disk turns itself on some times and can not be turned off from
> within the gui, restarting is the only way.) Is this a known problem or
> something specific to me.
>
> regards,
>
> /Patrik J.

Oops. The disk is on (but is displayed as 'off' in the gui), though in the
config file it's off. You can switch it off in the gui by first switching
on, then off again. This clearly needs a fix ASAP :(

regards,
rainer

BTW, the light curve looks 'wacky' because a very thin edge-on disk is a
pretty pathological case and prone to numerical artifacts...