Re: New Node

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:55:55PM -0400, andrew@xxxxxxxxxx wrote 1.1K bytes in 23 lines about:
: Is it worth the extra effort to run the alpha release? Is the gain in
: performance/features make it optimal? And how is stable is Alpha considered?
: Is it functional but not fully tested, or bleeding edge and likely to fail?

Our alpha's vary in reliability and quality.  A newly branched
-alpha is likely to be very buggy and unstable.  A longer lived -alpha
branch is probably just a reliable from a software perspective as
-stable, but may contain new features that can improve or degrade your
user experience.  The whole point of the -alpha branch is to test out
new features.

Specifically, 0.2.2.x-alpha is likely to become the next -stable branch
soon.  0.2.2.x releases have been stable and quicker as a client over
the past few releases.

: Also I see mention of direct IP address assignments, and that they are
: expensive. How expensive are we talking about? And what are the
: bandwidth/hardware limitations that make it unfeasible?

what do you mean by this?

--
Andrew Lewman
The Tor Project