Re: Costs of Portable IP Space [was: New Node]

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Sven Olaf Kamphuis <sven@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think we -could- potentially try to kick in an application for let's say a
> /20 PI space with ripe, and register this to some foundation (let's say the
> EFF) which can then use this for TOR nodes.
>
> thing is, PI space is not supposed to be sub-delegated to 'customers' so the
> whole thing will then have to go on the EFF (or whatever)

Heh.  I suppose I'm not surprised by the copyright feelings of the
group.  I mostly share them.  But I've been running a 20 megabit
default exit node in Canada for over a year now, so I'll share some
random thoughts in no particular order.

I think key to this whole thing is being a multihomed organization.  I
have never had an upstream bandwidth provider send me a note demanding
that I take something down.  Never.  The IP space is in my company's
name, but the don't go upstream.

As for DMCA notices, I largely ignore them.  Sometimes they're
regarding my customers (all static IPs --- I don't sell dynamic IP
accounts.  Static IPs are "easier") ... and sometimes I'll forward a
complaint to that customer, but responding to the notices only seems
to ratchet up the rhetoric and only encourages them.  I've been
running one ISP or another for almost 15 years now.  I've never done
anything about DMCA notices and I've never been sued.

Maybe IPv6 will make this easier.  The idea of portable address space
is difficult when ARIN will run out of addresses shortly.

It may be easiest to run an exit node when you are the ISP.