Re: [tor-talk] Google disable web-access to gmail for Tor-users?

Just a quick note...a nice, safe, easily anonymized email account can be had at safe-mail.net.  No hoops to jump through, tor friendly.

On Tuesday, April 05, 2011 01:52:31 am grarpamp wrote:
> >> 1st I've heard they REQUIRE a phone # to use Gmail over Tor.  Anyone
> >> else aware this is the only way?
>
> First I've heard that they require SMS to *USE* gmail.
> However, SMS has been required for quite some time now
> to *CREATE* a new gmail account. There was a thread a
> few months back regarding creation. And to date, I've not
> been able to create a new gmail account without SMS from
> any exit anywhere on the planet. Nor from any residential
> DHCP pool I have access to.
>
> >> I'd bet, from the Google message about "unusual activity," it was
> >> because the exit node wasn't in the  same country I used when created
>
> Yeah, they like to pop up red warning banners for avid travelers.
> I just hit dismiss, no SMS junk required.
>
> > In once case, it happened while I was using a pseudonym to contibute
> > to another open source project and ask questions on a mailinglist.
>
> I've never had any problems sending any message anywhere, at all.
> Only with new account creation. And the occaisional dismissed nag
> notice.
>
> > clicked through the help links and filled out some form explaining my
> > desire for strong pseudonymity, and they lifted the block without a
> > cell #.
>
> When I try creating a new account, without providing an SMS or
> other number, there is a form to fill out. I pick "don't have phone" or
> "don't want to give number" and explain the same. They ignore it.
> And if I recall, the account is left in a locked state. And since, rightly,
> no secondary address was provided, they can't reach me anyways.
> And any cool account name you came up with dies locked with it too.
>
> No offense to the list, but fuck google. With all their supposed
> brain power you'd think they could come up with something
> a little less brutal than a sledgehammer. Then again, I don't
> blame them... the GECOS, user, pass, contact, recovery,
> and mail content is certainly worth many millions more when
> combined with a phone number. Pigs.

Economics is not practised as a science. Rather, it is a pretentious way to covertly promote political prejudices.
- Fred Harrison