Re: [tor-talk] To Toggle, or not to Toggle: The End of Torbutton

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 08:29:36AM +0200, Jérémy Bobbio wrote:
> Last comment: we should all continue to stress out that Internet is
> not only made of web sites. If Internet was only about web sites, Tor
> would had a harder time happening: this new protocol was free to run
> through the cables. IMHO, associating Tor with only web browsing is like
> shooting ourselves in our feet: if everyone thinks "Internet = the web"
> no one notices when providers start to filter strange protocol, make
> everything travel through stupid proxies or use NAT4444.

I'm using separate tor+privoxy/polipo packages on my computers since
several years now. Tor and the proxy are starting during the boot on my
debian-machine. I've set up an own Firefox-Profile with torbutton for
browsing the web via tor.

I think it would be a no-go to stop serving standalone packages for tor.
I'm connecting e.g. some of my chat-sessions to my already running
tor-process, when logging in om my computer. It would be really bad, if
I had to start a browser-bundle to do this.

I hope, you're not planning to stop developing this standalone-packages?

If this packages will exist furthermore in the future, I could live with
an own pre-configured Tor-Browser-Bundle - but besides I'd like to have
the possiility to configure my own Browser with torbutton.

> I am saying that because having separate "tor" and "tor-browser" package
> in Debian gives me an opportunity to explain that Tor can be used for
> other purpose than only web browsing.

ACK.

Regards,
sigi