Re: [tor-talk] Torbutton problem

On 4/21/2011 3:05 PM, Zaher F. wrote:

> Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 08:58:57 -0500
> From: joebtfsplk@xxxxxxx
> To: tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Torbutton problem
>
> On 4/21/2011 5:10 AM, Zaher F. wrote:
> >
> > but i have one question : how can u get to firefox on ur
> > system???unless if the second one is portable???
> >> >
> > thx
> >
> Not sure I understand your question. Do you mean how can you have
> installed / run 2 instances of Firefox on same machine?

yes this what i mean????
can u explain to me how u can do it???
is it the second one should be portable????
The 2nd one (or 3rd, 4th...) doesn't have to be portable. I just replied to another user, who I * think * may have been dealing w/ issue of running more than one version, or multiples of same version (though he was concerned w/ RAM). See that reply & whether it answers some questions. After you read it, then you'll need to read up on using the Firefox Profile Manager (search that in their knowledge base).
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_Manager

You can read some about the stand alone profile mgr 1.0b1 that replaces the one built into Firefox here: http://jagriffin.wordpress.com/2011/01/11/profilemanager-1-0_beta1/

You can d/l the beta profile mgr here: ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/utilities/profilemanager/1.0_beta1/

I would suggest backing up a copy of the current profiles.ini file before making changes. Sometimes, I've had to manually add a profile name / path to it, because the profile mgr wouldn't do it correctly. I copied a previous profile entry from the profiles.ini file & pasted it below. Then changed the path & profile name accordingly, following the original examples.

[Profile1]
Name=FX 3.6.8 test 8-6-10
IsRelative=1
Path=Profiles/f3pnryzk.FX 3.6.8 test 8-6-10

[Profile2]
Name=FX4-shrd-3-25-11
IsRelative=0
Path=F:\Mozilla Shared Profiles\Firefox 4\mwfte1rr.FX4-shrd-3-25-11
Default=1

The "IsRelative" value = 1 means the profile is in the default location; 0 means it's in a non default location (as my Profile 2 is on F:\ drive). Which ever one you want to be the default will have "Default=1" as last line. However, if running multiple instances, for the other installs using different profiles than the default one, you'll either have to use the newer standalone beta profile mgr 1.0, or you'll have to add the profile you want each installation to use, in the startup icons Target box, along w/ the command "-no-remote" (no quotes) after the name of the profile name specified.