[tor-talk] anonymity at the outset

Something's been bothering me since I began contributing bandwidth to
the Tor network. Now that I've been running a bridge for awhile and feel
more or less confident of what I'm doing, I guess I can ask what may be
a dumb question.

The elementary illustration of how the tor network carries msgs shows
Alice's machine connected to the first node of an OR path.

Isn't it more accurate to show Alice's machine's first connection to be
to her ISP?

And if this is true, is not the initial hop past the ISP's gateway a
place of no anonymity?

If someone at the gateway were inclined to snoop, wouldn't be in effect
a MITM attack? - eliaz