Re: [tor-talk] Clarification of Tor's involvement with DARPA's Memex

Roger Dingledine:
And to be clear, I think this is a great trend: we need to make onion
services easier to understand and more accessible (and faster and more
robust) for ordinary people, or we'll remain stuck with all the metaphors
that include the word 'dark'.

Realizing that there are many different considerations of which I'm not aware, (also that this is a feature request of sorts, so please do point me in the right direction here) I for one would really like to see TBB automatically translate (for example) "3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion" into the human readable "DuckDuckGo," perhaps in a similar manner as with EV SSL cert's, though perhaps only for location-known and the-content-is-legal-everywhere onion services.

Perhaps some sort of opt-in procedure would be reasonable for those high-security-yet-not-location-anonymous onion services who really would rather be more easily identified? That would save the users' time of verifying their .onion URL's at least (plus, it could possibly decrease any phishing / link-jacking opportunities as well).

It just seems like all the information is already there, in the Tor world, that if .onion site operators are okay with being found geographically... then why keep their business names hidden from the browser? Vote cast.

cheers,
gz