Re: Tor TransPort on OpenBSD?

macintoshzoom <macintoshzoom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, the /dev/pf access is probably the problem as I catch once a
> warning in tor logs about that.
> Sorry, this is a newbie question, what and how have I to give tor
> permissions to access my /dev/pf ?

I'll skip this part as others already gave a few suggestions.

> Is this safe?

Is Tor safe if you don't give it access to /dev/pf?

I run Firefox and a handful of other programs with poor
security track records with the privileges required to access
my mail, so I don't worry too much about a (jailed) Tor process
with access to PF.

> Are you successful using make and pkg_add FreeBSD equivalent to update
> or build ports via tor using this TransPort feature, even when fetching
> ftp files?

I don't update my ports through Tor, I use OpenSSH for the
HTTP traffic (mainly because I can) and direct connections
for ftp (I haven't looked into how to tunnel it properly yet).

I believe the main problem with ftp through Tor is
that the number of suitable exit relays is limited.
I don't think it's a TransPort problem and I'm somewhat
sure that I successfully tested ftp through the TransPort
in the past.

Fabian