Re: Restricted Exit Policy Port Suggestions?

Am 11.08.2010 15:01, schrieb Harry Hoffman:
There are certainly instances where takedown requests are incorrect but
the frequency of them isn't high (again, my opinion).

It is not so much that they are incorrect. What is incorrect is to force the takedown of Tor exit nodes because of - in comparison - little abuse. And after all the Tor relays are not the origin of the infringement and actually protected by the DMCA (512a). Still, upstream ISP don't care much and want the complaints to cease.

In that sense, the takedown requests *are* incorrect.

If you want to exclude p2p, then I would bet that the amount of abuse
reports would plummet.

You cannot "exclude p2p" if as with Tor exits policy is port based. Bittorrent (which is the main culprit here) uses port 80 (or 443 for SSL) for tracker connections, and random ports for actual transfer.

If you cut of tracker connections (by blacklisting them), abuse stops. If you stop the actual transfers from happening, abuse stops, too. Both MediaSentry and BayTSP refer to the infringement including the port that the data was offered on.

Moritz