Re: Bigger Thinking [was: Tor Project 2008 Tax Return]

Roger Dingledine wrote:
On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 10:53:48PM -0600, Jim wrote:
I connect to the Internet with dialup. I have been successfully using Tor clients for 4+ years. One of the issues with using Tor over a slow connection is the amount of time it takes to update the information about the network when Tor is first started after having been off-line for a while. Depending on connection speed and how long the client has been off-line, this typically takes about 3 to 10 minutes. Perhaps a bit longer. My experience is that during this time the connection is pretty much useless for any other purpose.

Yep.

While inconvenient, this situation is certainly manageable. My concern has been what happens as the Tor network grows. At some point the delay would start being a serious problem.

Here's some reading:

https://blog.torproject.org/blog/overhead-directory-info%3A-past%2C-present%2C-future

We haven't gotten the "microdescriptor" out in practice yet, but
it's on its way:

That's good to know.  Thanks for the links.

Jim